The history of the establishment of the scientific research station on Laurie Island, South Orkney Islands, is recounted. Its founding by the Scottish National Antarctic (Scotia) Expedition (1902-04) and the subsequent operation by Argentina resulted in it becoming the first all-year-round permanently-staffed research facility in Antarctica. The networks of government and non-government personnel involved in the rivalry between British and Scottish interests and aspirations and the transfer of the Laurie Island facility from the Scottish expedition to Argentine government control are investigated. The narrative is set against the background of the centennial celebrations of that transfer.
There are 0 files associated with this work.
- Resource type
National Museums Scotland
- Journal title
Scottish Geographical Journal
- Official URL
- Rights statement
- Rights holder
Royal Scottish Geographical Society 2007
- Library of Congress Classification