The vitrified material - NMS Research Repository
Shared Research Repository
Book chapter

The vitrified material

2010

Abstract

The remains of the front of Balmerino House, built in 1631, were uncovered during an archaeological excavation at St Mary's Star of the Sea Roman Catholic Church, Constitution Street, Leith. The work also revealed several phases of medieval to post-medieval activity, and a small burial ground which predated the house. The earliest feature uncovered by the excavation was a well containing 13th- to 14th-century pottery. Large quantities of late to post-medieval pottery were recovered, as well as iron objects, glass and bone. The human remains comprised six adult males, although some were incomplete due to later disturbance. Of importance to the history of clay tobacco pipe manufacture in Scotland is a small assemblage of clay-pipe wasters and kiln waste dated c1630–40. The work was sponsored by Gregor Properties Ltd.

Files

There are 0 files associated with this work.

Metadata

  • Resource type

    Book chapter

  • Institution
    • National Museums Scotland

  • Book title
    • Excavations on the site of Balmerino House, Constitution Street, Leith

  • Editor
    • White, R H M
    • O'Connell, C
  • Volume
    • 41

  • Pagination
    • 23-24

  • Publisher
    • Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports

  • Place of publication
    • Edinburgh

  • ISBN
    • 978 090 390 358 5

  • Official URL
  • Related URL
  • Rights holder
    • Sociey of Antiquaries of Scotland

  • Library of Congress Classification
    • CC

  • Additional information
    • Full text version freely available at the official URL Related Organisation/s: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland