On display in the National Museum of Scotland is an architectural model which records buildings and landscape in an area of Edinburgh that has undergone considerable change. It is not known when the model entered the museum as there is no paperwork to identify it and only a fragment of what is thought to be a museum label is visible. This article proposes that the model is associated with the plans by the North British Railway Company from 1846 to 1848 to develop the area around Shakespeare Square. It examines the model in the context of the company’s discussions with Edinburgh town council and the bill they submitted to Parliament in 1847.
This is a metadata only record.